Responsible for assisting Lead Teacher/Teacher in developing and implementing a high quality, nurturing, anti-bias, developmentally appropriate environment, utilizing the YWCA’s Anti-Bias Curriculum for a diverse classroom. Maintain a safe environment for children by assisting classroom staff. Responsible for the assisting with daily care and nurturing of a primary group of children with a team of staff and reporting the child’s progress in social, physical, emotional, and cognitive development to parents/guardians.
Day to day responsibilities
- With the classroom staff team, assist Lead Teacher/Teacher in the development of theme based classroom and age group curriculum, implement and ensure compliance with a developmentally appropriate, anti-bias, multi-cultural curriculum, following the YWCA’s Anti-Bias Curriculum, for the classroom and primary care group.
- Assist in fostering a classroom environment conducive to the curriculum objectives and NAEYC Accreditation standards.
- Assisting in ensuring nurturing, culturally sensitive care for each child.
- Assisting Lead Teacher/Teacher with assessing, documenting and reporting children’s progress in social, physical, emotional, and cognitive development for data needs and to parents/guardians.
- Foster and model cultural sensitivity to the families we serve.
- Assist in ensuring all DHS Rule standards are maintained in classroom at all times.
- Assist in maintaining a high level of health and safety and assure emergency procedures are known and practiced.
- Assist Lead Teacher/Teacher in ensuring all child assessments and child portfolios are up to date and current.
- This position does not have any direct reports.
- Fulfill the duties of Lead Teacher/Teacher in their absence.
Contribute to an overall cohesive program of Early Childhood Education at YWCA Minneapolis
- Actively participate in center events and meetings.
- Provide support for other classrooms and the center as needed.
- Attend all staff training days and complete required number of DHS in-service hours yearly.
This position reports to the Early Childhood Education Director who reports to the ECE Director of Operations. Lead Teachers will interact with Teachers, Assistant Teachers and Teacher Aides, ECE Specialist, volunteers, students, and parents.
Compensation: Starting at $16.19/hour depending upon qualifications.
- Meet Minnesota DHS Rule 3 Assistant qualifications, including yearly in service requirements.
- Excellent human relations skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees in the organization.
- Current First Aid and CPR certifications
- Ability to speak a second language helpful, but not required.
- Experience working with youth ages 0-12.
- Possess a CDA or college credits in Child Development or Early Childhood Education
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear, stand, walk, sit, use hands to fingers, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee frequently is required to climb or balance and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception. Individual must have the ability to get to and from various sites/events/meetings in the metro area on an occasional basis.
COMPENSATION: Starting at $16.19 per hour (depending on qualifications)
BENEFITS: We offer a comprehensive Benefits Package, including Health, Dental, Vision, Disability & Life Insurance; Flexible Spending Accounts; Retirement Plan; generous Paid Time Off, FREE YWCA Minneapolis Health & Wellness Membership; reimbursement for Continuing Education and support for Professional Development.
Note: YWCA Minneapolis is a qualified employer under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF)
This job description represents the major functions but not intended to be all-inclusive.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of a pre-employment background/reference check. A criminal conviction does not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
YWCA Minneapolis requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit to weekly COVID-19 testing as a condition of employment.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO) STATEMENT: YWCA Minneapolis is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.