Thermo Fisher Scientific
As part of the Thermo Fisher Scientific team, you will discover meaningful work that makes a positive impact on a global scale. Join our colleagues in bringing our Mission to life every single day to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner, and safer. We provide our global teams with the resources needed to achieve individual career goals while helping to take science a step beyond by developing solutions for some of the world’s toughest challenges, like protecting the environment, making sure our food is safe or helping find cures for cancer.
Division Specific Information
This position is part of the Instrument Services Division consisting of a global team of 3,600 colleagues. Through our premier brand, Unity Lab Services, our Field Service team offers customized service solutions and world-class experts to uniquely address customer needs. Whether companies are looking to arrange for service on one instrument or are seeking resources to manage service and support for their labs, we have the solution to meet their needs.
The Summer Intern position is part of an “Early Talent Strategy” focused on building a pipeline of engineer talent for Field Services. We are looking for motivated Summer Interns interested in pursuing a career in engineering focused on delivering exceptional service to customers in the field. After college graduation, you can continue building your career by applying for the full-time Field Service Engineer role assigned to our Apprentice Program which is a 12-month training to prepare you for a career in Field Service Engineering.
Location: Remote, North America • Five Interns for the IES LE (Laboratory Essentials) o Boston, Miami, Dallas, New Jersey, Cincinnati, OH • Five Interns for the IES CMD (Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry Division) o Boston, Chicago, San Diego, Dallas, Atlanta
• Will work remotely and in Customer Sites based on the assigned region location.
• This is not a Thermo Fisher Scientific site-based role.
• No relocation available.
What You Will Do:
You will be part of a cohort of Interns who will begin work on a pre-determined start and end date. The Intern role will have four (4) major components:
1. Shadow a Field Service Engineer (FSE) to learn the business and experience first-hand what it takes to provide exceptional service to our customers.
2. Complete a defined project related to Field Services and the FSE role.
3. Present your assigned project and Intern experiences to the Leadership Team at the completion of the Intern Program.
4. Participate in a one-day Volunteer Project within your local community.
• Available full-time (40 hours/week) for 12 weeks (about 3 months) with a pre-determined start and end date.
• Field-based, customer facing position requiring flexibility to travel to customer sites daily in assigned region.
• Work side-by-side with Field Service Engineer mentors at customer sites.
• Complete assigned project before the end of the Intern Program.
• Represent the company in a positive, professional manner in all dealings with Thermo Fisher Scientific employees, customers, and representatives.
• Ensure the highest level of customer satisfaction with Thermo Fisher Scientific products and services.
• Must be currently enrolled and returning as a rising Junior or Senior to an accredited college or university pursuing an associate or bachelor’s degree in engineering or related field.
• Graduating students are eligible only if they return to school the following semester to pursue the next level degree.
• Must be in good academic standing.
• Customer Service work experience is a plus.
• Engineering, Robotics, and/or IT work experience is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
• Knowledge and experience with computer technology including Microsoft Suites (Excel, Word, Outlook), hardware and software applications, etc.
• Self-starter with a powerful desire to learn.
• Self-directed with a passion to deliver an outstanding customer experience.
• Is curious, inquisitive, and innovative with excellent critical thinking skills.
• Ability to manage time to both learn and complete project(s) prior to the end of the Summer Intern Program
• Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication
• Ability to identify specific problems, determine desired end-result, and the vital tasks needed to solve the problems.
Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner, and safer. Watch as our colleagues explain 5 reasons to work with us. As one team of 100,000+ colleagues, we share a common set of values – Integrity, Intensity, Innovation, and Involvement – working together to accelerate research, solve complex scientific challenges, drive technological innovation, and support patients in need. #StartYourStory at Thermo Fisher Scientific, where diverse experiences, backgrounds and perspectives are valued.