Refugee & Immigrant Program Legal Internship
Please note: Applications must be submitted through our website at https://www.theadvocatesforhumanrights.org/internships_fellowships
The Refugee and Immigrant Program welcomes undergraduate, graduate and law school students to assist with client intake, translation, research and administration. Past and current interns have conducted intake follow up with potential clients, assist with intake interviews and case administration, conducted country condition and legal research, translated documents, and assisted with application preparation to support clients’ asylum claims.
Intern Duties and Responsibilities:
- participate in intake interviews, deliberation and follow up;
- conduct legal and human rights research to prepare cases to transmit to volunteer attorneys;
- work with clients to prepare asylum applications and affidavits;
- assist staff and volunteer attorneys with supplemental research to support pending asylum claims, including brief writing;
- assist staff and volunteers with representation of clients at administrative immigration hearings, including observing and potentially participating in court proceedings;
- support staff with other related immigration applications, document translation as applicable, research, CLE material preparation and other duties as needed.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Organized, self-starter, detail-oriented and able to meet deadlines.
- 2L law or 3L student with an interest and commitment to do high quality legal work for low-income immigrant clients in a fast-paced office setting.
- Prior course work, work experience or clinical experience in immigration and/or human rights law is a plus.
- Excellent research, oral and written communication skills, organized, and detail-oriented.
- Fluency in a second language is a plus but not required.
Law students only please.
We do not accept applications submitted directly via Handshake or other external portals.