Refugee & Immigrant Program Internship
The Refugee and Immigrant Program welcomes undergraduate, graduate and law school students to assist with client intake, translation, research and administration. Past and current interns have conducted intake follow up with potential clients, assisted with intake interviews and case administration, conducted country condition and legal research, translated documents, and assisted with application preparation to support clients’ asylum claims.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Answering the client phone hotline, providing referrals, conducting phone intakes for potential asylum clients, and communicating with current clients;
- Writing case summaries, including country conditions information;
- Drafting letters to clients and attorneys;
- Administrative duties such as filing, copying, mailing, and maintaining data in our Legal Server case management system;
- Legal and human rights conditions research;
- Support for special events.
Experience and qualifications:
- EXTREME love of attending to details with ability to manage and follow through on tasks;
- Strong note taking skills with ability to synthesize notes into case histories and summaries;
- Advanced writing skills to synthesize country condition research;
- Ability to work both independently and with a group;
- Interest in refugees, immigrants, and other new arrivals to Minnesota;
- Sensitivity to diverse cultures;
- Ability to triage high call volume with varied requests to client line;
- Fluency in English;
- Proficiency in a second language. Most commonly used are: Spanish, French, Amharic, Somali;
- Experience or familiarity with immigration law (preferred for law students).
We do not accept applications submitted directly via Handshake or other external portals.