The Center for Spirituality and Social Justice is looking for students to join the St. Kate’s/CSJ Food Shelf Team in the Summer of 2023 and leading into the 23-24 Academic Year. This work supports the St. Kate’s and CSJ Communities by building a sustainable food system centered around the food shelf and community gardens. This position will help you grow as a leader and a teammate as we continue to develop processes that effectively meet the needs of our communities. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we encourage you to apply.
CSSJ Food Shelf Assistants are trained in all aspects of the St. Kate’s/CSJ Food Shelf and Social Justice programming. Students and staff are expected to be a presence of hospitality, outreach, welcome, and discretion to anyone wanting to use the Food Shelf services or volunteer. Regular events will include Food Shelf delivery days on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of each month, operational Food Shelf days on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month, and regular meetings with Supervisors. Any applicant should understand that while this position is hired through the CSSJ, it is co-supervised by others members of the Food Access Hub team. The Food Shelf Team will work to engage you in events and projects that match your goals, skills, and schedules with the goals of creating 8 to 10 hours of work a week.
Regular Scheduled Hours:
• Food Shelf delivery, food rescue, and stocking, 2nd and 4th Tuesdays 10:45am-1:00pm.
• Food Shelf Operational Hours, 1st and 3rd Wednesdays 11am-6pm. • Weekly Supervisor 1 on 1s – to be scheduled with each person
• Evening programming
• Opening the Food Shelf for emergency food needs for individual students when requested
Student Lead Areas: Each student on the Food Shelf Team works with the group to choose one or two responsibility areas where they will take a leadership role.
- Service learning coordination
• Food Shelf/Garden Data
• Volunteer recruitment and training
• Communication/Social Media
• Interdisciplinary projects
• Donations processing
• Garden post-harvest prep
• Delivery/ stocking
Coordinate the St. Kate’s/CSJ Food Shelf on the first and third Wednesday each month. Tasks include: logistics, stocking, statistics gathering/reporting, donations coordination, etc.
• Work with St. Kate’s supervisor to coordinate Sodexo Food Rescue
• Organize transportation and stocking for donation events to Food Shelf
• Transport donations from the Food Shelf to alternative sites to increase food usage
• Participates in regularly scheduled meeting with supervisor, Food Shelf Team, and other scheduled meetings
• Support the community gardens that donate to the Food Shelf when requested as it works with your schedule
• Working with Food Shelf team to create Social Justice programming and communication strategies such as generating online and written content, creating marketing materials, promotional flyers, video content, social media posts and reflection materials for a variety of audiences and usage
• Engaging in social justice reflections on direct service and advocacy (the Two Feet of Justice- Love in Action)
• Support and educate St. Kate’s and CSJ communities on sustainability initiatives
• Digitally document programs and events
• Students will complete their university time card every other week at the time designated by their supervisor
• Interest in food systems and sustainability
• Ability to problem solve in the food shelf and garden
• Experience with customer service
• Ability to be discrete about food shelf users and their needs
• Ability to work with other team members to complete projects
• Willingness to be trained or experienced in Public Speaking.
• Ability to handle light to moderate physical effort on delivery days
How to Apply
Apply by submitting a resume via KatieCareer by Handshake. If you need assistance with this document or would like what you have proofread, reach out to St. Kate’s Career Development Office at AskCareer@stkate.edu. Individuals with a disability who believe they may need any reasonable accommodations should contact Student Accessibility & Accommodations at Accessibility@stkate.edu for an appointment.