Parents In Community Action, Inc. (PICA) is a private, nonprofit agency designated by the federal government to operate Head Start and Early Head Start programs in Minnesota. PICA serves over 2,600 children and families and offers a variety of programs and services.
PICA is currently seeking Health Advocates.
Job Summary: The primary function of this position will be to assist in improving the health status of PICA families and staff. Health Advocates address the enormous health disparities within Community of Color.
· Coordinate community health professionals to provide on-site screenings and immunizations & Coordinate participation in PICA’s wellness program for parents and staff including: Scheduling community health educators to provide educational lectures at events and in parent lounges.
· Monitor progress of grant goals.
· Comply with all safety policies, practices and procedures.
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with a diverse population.
· Knowledge of nutrition, fitness and medical terminology.
· Knowledge of various aspects of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, required immunizations, injuries and safety and nutrition.
· Cross-cultural competence and knowledge of communities affected by health disparities.
· Associate degree (AA) from college or technical school or one year related experience equivalent combination of work and experience.
· Knowledge of Macintosh and electronic mail.
· Must possess a valid Minnesota Drivers License, insurance and dependable means of transportation.
· Must possess strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
Excellent working conditions and benefit package including low cost medical insurance, paid dental/life insurance, sick/annual leave, retirement and education/training opportunities. Occasional evening and weekend work.
Apply online at www.picaheadstart.org or at 700 Humboldt Ave N, Minneapolis, MN 55411. AA/EOE
This job description is a summary and does not necessarily represent a complete list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. Ref.100-Rev 8/25/03