At MnDOT, we are driven to find talented, innovative employees for Minnesota’s nationally recognized transportation system. How would you like to serve as a Construction Inspector? You will assist the Chief Inspector on a significant portion of complex projects by completing complex inspection activities to ensure successful completion of projects, and so much more! Other duties include but are not limited to:
· Perform and/or direct frequent/routine field testing of construction materials (for example. grading and base, bituminous, and concrete), analyzes test results, and verify material quality and determine if construction materials meet MnDOT specifications.
· Performs construction inspections and verify the dimensions and tolerances of constructed roadway features to ensure conformance to plans and specifications.
· Performs required complex inspection activities of grading and base or bridge projects, and bituminous and concrete paving operations to ensure successful completion of projects.
· Reports known deficiencies to Chief Inspector and verifies corrections of known deficiencies to ensure the project complies with project documents.
· Monitors contractor and traffic control safety practices, ensures personal safety is protected, and ensures the project is completed using applicable safety practices, rules and programs.
· Provides work direction to assistant inspectors and/or student workers in gaining required technical skills through MnDOT’s technical certification program.
· Measures, computes, documents and enters pay items into Field Ops and determines amount of payment to contractor.
A combination of one year of experience in any of the following areas: contract administration (roadway and/or bridge construction), bridge maintenance, bridge safety inspection, design, hydraulics, materials, soils, permits, planning, pre-design, right of way, road surface/roadside maintenance, snow/ice, surveys, and/or traffic engineering. Credit will also be awarded for professional residential or commercial building construction.
A Two year Civil or Construction Technology Degree or the following four year degrees: Architectural, Civil or Mechanical Engineering; Land Surveying / Geomatics; or equivalent may substitute for one year of experience.
REQUIRED: (minimum certifications required at the time of hire or placement in the position)
Aggregate Production and ONE of the following;
· Level 1 Concrete Field
· Level I Concrete Plant
· Level 1 Bituminous Plant
· Grading & Base
· Level 1 Bituminous Street