The Refugee Services Department at the International Institute of Minnesota houses our core refugee resettlement program and other types of assistance, such as medical case management, social services, health education, and employment services. The majority of our clients are refugees from Somalia, Democratic Republic of Congo, and Iraq. The Refugee Services Intern assists with files and paperwork related to refugees arriving in the U.S. Tasks include organizing and creating client files, notifying U.S. residents of family members’ arrival dates, and notifying clients of upcoming interviews. The intern will also assist Institute staff with Affidavit of Relationship (AOR) applications. The AOR program reunites refugees abroad with family members in the U.S.
If you have a car that you are willing to use you could also assist case managers with apartment set up and airport arrivals, though this is not required for the position.
Training is provided and you will be supervised by IIMN program staff throughout your internship.
• Should be energetic and comfortable in a cross-cultural environment, with a positive attitude
• Should be flexible, able to multitask, and willing to learn
• Second language ability, particularly Somali, Karen, French, or Kiswahili preferred
• Should have familiarity with computers, Microsoft products, and making professional phone calls
• Experience working with those who speak English as a second language is a plus
• Candidate must consent to a criminal background check
Primary Duties Include:
• Assist with office organization, filing, and phone calls
• Meet with U.S.-based family members of refugees to establish service agreements
• Call U.S.-based family members with information regarding case updates – appointments, etc.
• Organize and prepare case files
• Enter data into web-based CRM database
• Help gather documents in support of AOR applications
• Minimum of 10-15 hours/week
• Monday – Friday, 9am-5pm (days and times are flexible, but no weekend hours are available)
• Priority given to candidates who can commit to full semester or three months
Complete the internship application form. Applications without resumes will not be accepted for this position.