The purpose of this position is to provide direct and daily care and housekeeping services to residents of Clare Midtown in the Home Care Services (HCS) program. This position requires maintaining professional boundaries with residents who live with physical illness, mental illness, and chemical addiction.
The Resident Assistant/Housekeeper will authentically implement harm reduction and housing first strategies with residents, de-escalate chaotic situations and effectively redirect residents, and communicate effectively and respectfully with residents who may exhibit behaviors associated with chemical use and various mental health symptoms. In addition, the Resident Assistant/Housekeeper will be responsible for cleaning the living room, dining area, kitchen and bathroom of residents apartment along with other assigned duties.
Core Job Functions:
General Duties and Responsibilities:
· To provide direct care and supports to all residents.
· Communicate with relevant staff members—both verbally and electronically—all pertinent information regarding residents’ mental, physical, emotional, and chemical health.
· Manage the front desk independently, monitor security cameras, register all visitors and maintain building safety and security.
· Attend regular staff meetings and trainings as assigned by Supportive Services Manager.
· Complete other tasks as assigned by Supportive Services Manager.
· Follow the service plan/careplan for each Homecare resident in regard to necessary housekeeping duties. Engage resident in some of the duties if appropriate.
· Specific duties may include: doing dishes, doing resident laundry, cleaning kitchen appliances and counters, sweeping & vacuuming floors, cleaning bathroom area including sink, shower/bath and toilet.
· Removing recycling and garbage from apartment and disposing in outdoor garbage/recycling bin
· On occasion housekeeper may be asked to assist resident in organizing a room or closet, etc.
· Making observations and charting those observations (and completed work) in electronic client software program.
· Notify Lead Resident Assistant of needed supplies to order – cleaning products, paper towel, etc.
Home Care Services Duties and Responsibilities:
· Correctly and safely dispense medications (liquids, tablets, capsules, eye drops, ear drops, inhalers, etc.) to residents in the Home Care Service (HCS) program.
· Provide housekeeping, laundry and meal preparation to residents in the HCS program as needed.
· Provide assistance with bathing, grooming and other personal cares and/or delegated tasks under the direction of Nursing to residents in the HCS as needed.
· Correctly and safely operate medical devices and equipment as needed (i.e. blood pressure cuff).
· Communicate with Nursing and other Resident Assistants to make sure that medication administration and home care tasks for HCS residents are completed in a timely manner during each shift, and document those tasks appropriately in the electronic charting software.
· Recognize when it is appropriate to contact the on-call nurse for support to ensure safety of residents in the HCS program.
· Meet with nursing staff every 30 days after initial hire and every 90 days thereafter for assessment/observation of delegated nursing tasks.
Education and Experience:
· High school diploma or GED.
· One year in the health or social service fields preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Ability to read, write and speak English sufficiently in order to communicate pertinent medical and social services to residents and to communicate with management and staff.
· Willingness to work in an environment guided by housing first and harm reduction principles.
· Strong knowledge of emergency procedures and ability to stay calm in stressful situations.
· Must be able to maintain a professional manner when working with residents, staff and volunteers.
· Ability to work independently and exercise good judgment.
· Excellent interpersonal communication skills, both verbal and written.
· Highly organized and ability to multi-task.
· Ability to maintain confidentiality in both client and employee information.
· Ability to efficiently utilize electronic charting software.
· Ability to work within an interdisciplinary team.
· Ability to maintain professional boundaries and practice self-care in a position that works with residents struggling with physical, mental, and chemical health issues.
· Ability to take and pass the required Medications Administration Training.
· Ability to perform physical jobs such as doing laundry, cooking, and cleaning in a home setting.
· Cognitive ability to correctly and safely coordinate the administration of all medications/controlled substances for all residents of the HCS program.
· Sufficient physical strength to safely lift/transfer residents without causing injury to self or residents.
· Knowledge and manual dexterity to operate medical equipment safely.
· Must have the emotional stability needed to cope with the stress of the position.
· Have a sensitivity and aptitude for working with individuals who are living with HIV/AIDS, were formally homeless and have a trauma background.
· Ability to work respectfully and communicate effectively with multi-cultural, diverse populations.
Licenses and/or Certifications:
· CPR/First Aid Certification required; training provided to obtain certification.
· Driver’s License, State ID or Passport
Working Conditions and Environment:
This position is located in a supportive housing building for adults living with HIV/AIDS and other disabilities. Many of the residents are formerly homeless
individuals. The building is accessible and smoke free. This position staffs the building 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days per year.
The position includes doing laundry, housekeeping, cooking, lifting/transferring residents and other physical tasks. This position requires the manual dexterity to use various types of medical equipment, as well as the cognitive ability to perform more detailed tasks such as medication administration, charting, filing and copying. The person in this position will be exposed to body fluids, infections, odors.
All employees are expected to work effectively in a mission-driven organization whose residents and staff exhibit significant diversity with respect to age, race/color, disability, marital status, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, familial status, genetic information or veteran’s status.
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.