General Duty Statement
Performs manual and skilled forestry work involving the planting, maintenance, or removal of trees, stumps, and debris. Drives trucks and operates equipment in a tree maintenance operation. Performs other related duties and responsibilities as required.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT THIS POSITION:
The two current vacancies (approximately six months) are in the Forestry Section of the Parks & Recreation Department located at 1120 Hamline Ave N, Saint Paul, MN 55108. Forestry typically operates on a Monday-Friday, 7:00 am-3:30 pm schedule, however, staff are expected to respond to emergencies (storms, snow plowing) and be available for scheduled weekend work as necessary.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities: (does not include all possible work duties)
- Performs a variety of technical tasks in the maintenance, preservation, and removal of the City’s boulevard and park trees.
- Properly ties knots and hitches commonly used in arboriculture for climbing and rigging. Works from ladders and is proficient in the use of climbing ropes, harness and equipment for climbing operations.
- Properly and safely operates and maintains hand and power tools, motor vehicles, small engine equipment and other equipment and tools in the performance of their assignments.
- Recognizes and identifies trees, tree diseases, and pests; completes visual inspections of trees and their canopy.
- Maintains grounds and buildings; maintains work areas in a neat, orderly, and quality manner; responsible for site clean-up.
- Completes required documentation either manually or electronically including forms, records, and daily reports that are complete, accurate, clear and timely.
- Operates in sometimes difficult, hazardous and/or unpredictable work conditions.
- Wears ear, eye and head protection, safety shoes and other protective apparel as required. Supports the safety of one another.
- Follows, guides, and orients others in established Department and City rules and policies, OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) standards, and safety practices as set forth in the American National Standard for Arboriculture Operations: Safety Requirements (ANSI Z133.1).
Essential Functions are the functions that the individual holding the position must be able to perform unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation. The Essential Functions for this position are identified in the Supplemental Information section of the Forestry Arborist Job Description.
The City of Saint Paul’s mission is to integrate equity and inclusion into how we approach all our work. Our vision is to be committed to building an equitable and inclusive city that will shift culture in city processes and policies, eliminate structural inequities, and ensure timely and relevant access to services, resources, support, and opportunity to every person in Saint Paul.
One year of experience with a tree maintenance company or a municipal forestry operation where the duties included maintenance and removal of trees utilizing rope and harness and aerial techniques.
Must complete and successfully pass an initial ANSI Z133 Safety Standard for Tree Care Operations and Incidental Line Clearance training provided by the City of Saint Paul within one year of appointment (only applicable if positions extend beyond six months duration).
Must possess and maintain a valid Minnesota Class B or Class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with no restriction for airbrakes. The CDL must have no suspensions or revocations for driving-related offenses during the two-year period prior to the date of appointment. Suspensions for parking-related offenses are excluded.
By Closing Date, you MUST
- Submit a City of Saint Paul online application, including answers to the Supplemental Questionnaire (applicants must fully document work experience with a tree maintenance company or municipal forestry operation in the application). A resume is optional, but the application must be completed. Do not respond “see resume” with the application document.
- Upload or submit the following documents via the online application system, mail, in person, email, or fax. (Zip files and web links will not be accepted. Each uploaded attachment is limited to 10MB.)
- A legible copy (back and front) of your valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
- A resume (optional)
First time applying online? Read our How to apply Online Guide.
Selection Process Information
Temporary: This posting is open to anyone who meets the position requirements.
Final Selection Process: A Hiring Manager will notify you if you are considered in the final selection process.
Condition of Employment: This position requires a medical examination, driver’s license check, drug test, and a background check which may include criminal history and employment history as a condition of employment. The City of Saint Paul encourages individuals to apply for positions regardless of criminal history.
Human Resources Contact Information:
Diane Turnbull at 651-266-6506
200 City Hall Annex
25 West Fourth Street
Saint Paul, MN 55102
To refer to this information, we recommend you print this job posting before you apply. For technical assistance regarding the online application, please call 1-855-524-5627 during regular business hours.
Veteran’s Preference: If you are a veteran and would like to receive Veteran’s preference in accordance with MN Statute 197.455, you must submit a photocopy of your DD214 preferably at time of application. Click here for more information.
The City of Saint Paul is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Veterans, women, persons of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.