The primary purpose of the Water Resources Intern position is to support the Water Resources Division in the monitoring, inventory and maintenance of the city’s surface water resources.
The first review of applications is Monday, December 21, 2020.
- Provide visual inspection of MS4 outfalls and storm water ponds and record data in GPS unit using MS4 Front and Cartegraph™ Asset Management software.
- Update GIS database and map of City’s storm sewer conveyance and treatment system with inspection data, verification of structure type, identification of unknown or missing structures and pipe, and other applicable information.
- Provide erosion control inspections of active construction sites to insure compliance with applicable National Pollution Discharge Elimination System permits and city code and communicate these findings with the property owner, contractor and city staff.
- Assist in coordinating and leading educational activities with various community organizations.
- Assist with vegetation management for various structural and non-structural storm water best management practices such as shoreline restoration, rain garden maintenance, buffer establishment and maintenance, wetland restoration and other practices.
- Assist with water quality monitoring and database management.
- Assist with survey work and construction staking.
- General administrative duties within the engineering department which may include; answering telephones, support at engineering counter, filing and organizing documents and other duties as assigned.
- Performs related work as apparent or assigned.
- High school degree or equivalent
- Currently enrolled in college or have recently completed a bachelor’s degree in a related field such as, geology, geographic information systems, environmental science, water resources, or engineering or equivalent.
- Previous experience with GIS software (ArcMap, ArcInfo, ArcView)
- A valid Class D Minnesota driver’s license and with a satisfactory driving record.
- Previous related experience preferred but not required
- Previous experience with Global Positioning Systems (GPS)