The duties and responsibilities of the Forestry & Natural Resources Intern include:
Identify diseased/infested trees-Dutch elm disease, oak wilt, and emerald ash borer on public and private property.
- Add infested trees to ArcGIS Tree Inventory and mail notifications.
- Utilize Trimble GPS to locate property lines to determine tree ownership.
- Assist with noxious weed/tall grass complaints.
- Inspect, document, and mail notifications.
- Assist with native site restoration.
- Assist in identifying and prioritizing invasive species removal. Assist with restoration projects including invasive species removal, herbicide treatments, and native plant seeding.
- Potentially aid in prescribed burns (seasonally dependent).
- Maintain tree inventory of public property trees using ArcGIS Collector.
- Identify species, rate tree condition, select the appropriate management action.
- Assist with planning and implementation of environmental volunteer events including: tree plantings, invasive species removal, and harvesting native prairie seed
- Maintain newly planted and young trees.
- Watering (weather dependent), structural pruning, etc.
While these areas are the primary focus of the position, we believe strongly in teamwork and employees will be called upon to perform a variety of duties as a part of their role with the City.