Boston Outdoor Preschool Network
Internship in Nature-based Early Education
School Year 2023 – 2024
We build joyful communities connected to each other and to their outdoor environments through discovery and play. We believe that children are intrinsically motivated to learn, and that they do so by exploring the world around them. This is the right opportunity for an aspiring educator who enjoys teaching young children outdoors rain or shine as well as those with backgrounds in biology, environmental studies, and geology who hope to share their passion with the next generation.
We are currently recruiting for summer interns at our Arboretum, Wellesley, Milton, and Malden locations.
- School year internships run November – April
- Our most common internship schedule is Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. (15 hours/week)
- The schedule and focus are individualized to meet each intern’s professional goals and academic requirements
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Nurture the spirit and curiosity of each child while building community. Learn about our nature-based and child-centered approach.
- Set goals for your internship with your supervisor and check in on a regular basis.
- Assist the Lead Teacher to ensure the health and safety of each child.
- Assist the Lead Teacher to develop and implement engaging nature-based early childhood curriculum that connects children with one another and to nature.
- Design and lead a project related to early childhood education, environmental education, and/or anti-bias education
- Explore varied terrain, learn about local flora and fauna, and make music and art
- Gracefully communicate with parents, caregivers, and the general public
- Assist the Lead Teacher to document the children’s growth and learning
- Attend an orientation and occasional professional development events related to nature-based early education
- Complete state-required fingerprinting and background checks in a timely manner
- Maintain consistent attendance and punctuality
- Related duties as assigned
- Strong interest in nature-based early childhood education
- Eager to learn about classroom management in an outdoor setting
- Engaging and easily able to communicate with children, families, and colleagues
- Embrace a wide variety of weather conditions as unique and interesting, part of the ebb and flow of the natural rhythm and seasonal changes
- Able to hike across varied terrain while carrying supplies, including on hot and rainy days
How to Apply:
Email your resume and cover letter to Lylah.Molnar@bopn.org
- Please apply at your earliest convenience.
- Successful reference and background checks are required.
- Candidates who add to our diverse community are encouraged to apply.
- Boston Outdoor Preschool Network is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.