POSITION SUMMARY: The Child Development Specialist, with the supervision of the Program Director of Outpatient Family Programs, will provide daily programming and activities to children participating in programs in the Child Development Room. The Specialist will work jointly and be an active team member with both the Family Outpatient Treatment Program, MARFU, and the Child Development team. This person will perform three key roles: 1) Provide skill building, care, and facilitation of daily schedule and activities; 2) Facilitate and provide children’s programming according to identified best practices; and 3) Deliver quality care and services to children / families while engaged in Child Development Room. Flexible Schedule: Hours may include morning, afternoon and evening hours depending on program needs.
- Facilitate daily children’s programming and activities for the children of mothers participating in Avivo’s Family Program. Children range in ages 6 weeks – age 17 with primary emphasis on children aged 6 weeks – 5 years.
- Plan and facilitate childhood development activities for children ages 6 weeks – 5 years.
- Lead activities and engage with the children.
- Set up and serve daily snack for children and perform general group room set-up and clean up daily.
- Ensure documentation of all interactions and activities with children and family.
- Participate in monthly meetings with parent to provide updates on child developmental progress and children’s group issues.
- Contribute to further development and implementation of Children’s Programming and Family Development components.
- Assist Family team in the identifying children’s developmental needs and assisting mothers in meeting children’s needs.
- Assist with further development and implementation of children’s programming and family development components.
- Provide mentoring and role modeling of effective and appropriate parenting skills.
- Ensure communication and coordination of care with all Avivo service teams to include: MARFU/ Women’s Program, Housing Program, and Treatment Program/s, as well as community & public providers.
- Present a positive image of all Avivo Programs and Services and actively participate in Avivo’s “Undoing Racism” and Promoting Diversity Initiatives.
- Conduct UA’s as needed.
- Attend all meetings and staffing as required to include Women’s & Housing Program.
- Work in collaboration with Volunteer Services to assist in supporting volunteer positions which may fall within your program area.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- A minimum of two years experience providing early childhood services or services to young children and families; or an Associates or Bachelors Degree in Early Childhood, Social Work, Human Services, or related field.
- Demonstrated knowledge and abilities to work effectively with children ages 0-17, with emphasis on younger children ages 0-6.
- Knowledge of issues impacting children of women with chemical dependency issues is desirable, but not required.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and ability to transport children and mothers for family activities.
- Able to work well as a team member with coworkers and referral sources.
- Experience working with individuals from diverse backgrounds helpful.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality with Avivo participants and services, confidential/ sensitive materials and documents.
- Ability to maintain professional boundaries with program participants.
- Possess effective verbal and written communication skills in a team environment.
- Position requires the ability to lift 50 pounds safely.
- Candidate must be able to pass BCA and DHS background study prior to hire.
- Utilize computer network system, copy machine, fax machine, and telephone system.
WAGE: $19.57 per hour
BENEFITS: Avivo offers competitive salaries and compensation, including a comprehensive benefits package. Benefits include a generous PTO policy and company observed holidays as well as health and dental insurance, long-term disability insurance, life insurance, and a retirement savings plan. Health insurance coverage is also available for domestic partners, in addition to other optional benefits.
HOW TO APPLY: Please provide a letter of interest and resume highlighting your experiences and qualifications through our website at https://avivomn.org If you have questions on your application, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Avivo serves an average of 15,000 Minnesotans each year, helping them achieve recovery, employment, and economic advancement. Founded in 1960, Avivo provides chemical and mental health services, career education, and employment services. We specialize in helping individuals and families who face personal or systemic barriers – poverty, homelessness, joblessness, chemical addiction or mental health concerns – achieve recovery and economic stability. We believe everyone deserves the chance to live well and work well. For more information, visit avivomn.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Avivo is an equal opportunity employer and will recruit, hire, promote and transfer qualified persons into all job classifications regardless of race, gender, religion, skin color, national origin or ancestry, physical disability (including pregnancy) or mental disability, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, legally protected medical condition, family care status, marital status, veteran status, or genetic characteristics.