The Production Supervisor is responsible for providing leadership for plant operations. This individual will work closely with all departments to establish and enforce safe process methods that ensure operational effectiveness and production adherence. The supervisor will champion an environment of respect and responsibility through professional communication, accountability, budget consciousness, team work, quality, safety and productivity.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities as management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Manage, mentor and support production operations and employees.
- Work jointly with maintenance to identify equipment issues, establish day to day operational priorities, improve machine efficiency, managing the priority and completion of work on shift.
- Facilitate production expectations with plant personnel; ensuring that goals are met on a day to day, month to month basis.
- Ensure that processing equipment setups are completed in the timeframe required to meet department expectations and productivity.
- Establish training procedures and processes that improve job knowledge, including cross training.
- Provide daily updates to department managers.
- Build a strong working relationship with plant personnel, providing leadership, teaching, and effective communication methods, that ensure enforcement of company policies and procedures.
- Understand software controls which will include addressing system performance issues and training.
- Establish a “zero injury” safety culture and motivate employees to follow safety policies and procedures.
- Participate in the annual management review of the Food Safety and Quality system.
- Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner by gathering and analyzing information skillfully. Work well in group problem solving situations and develop alternative solutions.
- Create a positive team with the ability to build morale and group commitments to meet goals and objectives.
- Ability to manage projects by creating workable plans; communicate changes effectively, build commitments and overcome resistance.
- Develop realistic action plans, by prioritizing and planning work activities. Plans for additional resources as needed.
- Include team members in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement. Makes oneself available to employees, providing regular performance feedback, develop subordinates’ skills and encourages growth.
- Ability to react well under pressure. Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position. Accepts responsibility for own actions and follows through on commitments.
- Leads and guides all Quality and Food Safety policies and procedures, reporting any nonconformity.
- Leads and guides all Safety policies and procedures, reporting any nonconformity.
- Leads and guides GMP policies and procedures, reporting any nonconformity.
- Establish and maintain strong customer relationships as needed.
- Promptly investigate customer complaints, determine root cause, implement corrective action and provide follow-up.
An individual in this position must be able to successfully perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. The above list reflects the general details necessary to describe the principle and essential functions of the position and shall not be construed as the only duties that may be assigned for the position.
The following are required competencies of the position that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job:
- Exceptional attention to detail, strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to adapt effectively within a continually changing and demanding environment.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the products manufactured and the processes involved.
- Thorough understanding and broad application of safety regulations, standards, principles, theories, and techniques.
- Understanding of equipment operations and minor troubleshooting ability.
- Must be able to demonstrate an ability and willingness to communicate effectively in order to maintain high levels of Safety, Quality and Efficiency.
- Ability to read and comprehend standard operating procedures and company guidelines in order to maintain regulatory compliance.
- Ability to understand daily production needs.
- Able to read and comprehend standard operating procedures.
- Lead in a team environment safely.
- Detail oriented, be quality minded.
- Able to perform at a high level in a fast-paced environment.
- Must have high level of discretion and ability to handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately.
- Working knowledge of budgets and financial statements.
- Independent worker and analytical thinker with ability to conduct research, data analysis and resolve complex problems.
- Ability to plan, initiate, direct and carry out short and long-term programs.
- Ability to define problems, collect and document data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Thorough understanding and board application of safety regulations, standards, principles, theories, and techniques.
- Strong project management skills.
- Demonstrated training skills involving making presentations covering various topics.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of situations and events and respond accordingly.
- Possess traits of honesty, integrity, creativity and flexibility.
- Maintain a valid drivers’ license.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED), required
- Bachelor’s degree in food science, manufacturing or similar area preferred.
- Five years’ experience in dairy or food production, manufacturing, industrial process operations or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Three years of supervisory experience, preferred.
- Bilingual, preferred
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Office including, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience with Oracle ERP or other ERP systems is preferred, but not required
- Knowledge of SQF, HACCP, GMP’s, OSHA and loss control programs is highly desirable.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Office – Work is performed in a general office environment with low to moderate noise exposure. May on occasion be exposed to loud sounds and distracting noise levels, such as from office equipment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch; talk or hear; taste or smell. The majority of the time is spent seated at a work station with access to telephone, computer, printer, files, and reference materials. Requires frequent verbal communication either in person, by telephone or by use of online interactive communication, to interact with vendors, suppliers, and consultants. Requires frequent written communication by requiring frequent typing and writing. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Manufacturing – Work is performed in a manufacturing plant. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee will frequently have to walk and stand. The employee should have the ability to occasionally lift up to 55lbs. Must be able to climb ladders and work at elevations above 4 feet. Employees are regularly exposed to cold temperatures when performing tasks in storage areas. Employees are regularly exposed to warm or hot temperatures with moderate to high humidity levels varying based on the location of the work area. The employee is regularly exposed to wet walking surfaces. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Office – This job operates in a professional office environment. Employees will work face-to-face with others on a daily basis. Some may share office space. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is rarely exposed to outside weather conditions and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually low. May on occasion be exposed to loud sounds and distracting noise levels, such as from office equipment. The employee may be exposed to very low levels of ammonia.
Manufacturing – Employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock, wet work conditions, fumes or airborne particles. Employee is occasionally exposed to warm conditions with occasional exposure to temperature conditions in excess of 100*F or cold temperatures when working in cold storage areas. The employee is regularly exposed to work near moving mechanical parts. Employee is regularly exposed to chemicals during sanitation processes. The noise level in the work environment is occasionally at a high level. The employee is not routinely exposed to weather conditions. The employee may be exposed to very low levels of ammonia.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) – Personal protective equipment is required depending on the job being performed, including protective eye wear, or face shields, hearing protection, hair and beard nets, uniforms and footwear. Additional equipment is required when working with chemicals, such as rubber gloves and use of chemical proof aprons as appropriate for the job being performed.
Associated Milk Producers Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.