An academic and career exploration opportunity for BIPOC women high school Juniors and Seniors.
June 20 – 23 – 2023, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
St. Catherine University Campus
Application Deadline May 1, 2023
Space is limited, applicants should register early!
About St. Catherine University
Sustained by a legacy of strong, visionary women, St. Catherine University has been educating women to lead and influence for over 120 years. We are a proudly diverse community of learners, dedicated to academic rigor with a commitment to social justice. In our College for Women, we offer first-year students more than 50 programs in four schools, including business, healthcare, nursing, and the arts, humanities, and sciences. We are committed to excellence, aiming to develop leaders who act with integrity.
Located in the heart of the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, St. Catherine University is surrounded by culture and activities, including theater, music, sports and outdoor adventures. Being close neighbors to several other private institutions, our students have the opportunity for a rich social life and larger sense of community. Minneapolis/St. Paul is home to 18 Fortune 500 companies—including UnitedHealth Group, Target, 3M, Best Buy, and CHS—networking opportunities, internships and job openings abound.
Who Should Register?
BIPOC high school women entering their junior or senior year at Central, Cristo Rey, De La Salle, Harding, Highland Park, Hmong College Prep Academy, and South High schools who are interested in healthcare, math and science fields
Health Science Programs
- Exercise and Sport Science
- Exercise Science and Nutrition
- Occupational Therapy
- Respiratory Care
- Physical Therapy
- Public Health
- Social Work
Science & Math Programs
- Data Science
During the program you will:
- Learn about fields of study in the healthcare, math, and sciences
- Connect with professionals to hear about career paths and education preparation
- Tour healthcare and industry settings and get hands-on experience to see what it might be like to work in those fields
- Learn tips to prepare for the college search and application process
- Benefit from mentors and career coaching to help you think about personal and professional goals
- Start developing skills such as resume and cover letter writing, creating a LinkedIn profile, interviewing, and networking
Job Skills Bonus
At the end of the one-year program, you will have the opportunity to participate in the St. Kate’s Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) training program for FREE! A CNA is an entry-level member of a patient’s healthcare team, performing important patient-centered tasks under the supervision of licensed nursing staff. Although a CNA is not a nurse, they work very closely with nurses, physicians, and other healthcare providers in a variety of settings.
Did you know?
- Science and mathematics are the basis for all sciences, health sciences, and medical fields. Scientists learn how to apply scientific theories to solve real-world problems. Mathematicians study patterns and relationships. Math is the language of science, and it can be pursued as a standalone discipline. Mathematicians seek careers in actuarial science, mathematical modeling, and finance, to name a few.
- A data scientist knows how to collect, organize, analyze, and interpret data to tell a story in an ethical and socially just way.
- A sonographer would conduct an ultrasound to look inside the body, most commonly on a pregnant mother.
- An occupational therapist is a problem solver who helps people do daily tasks and routines, despite injury, disability, or age.